eRSA invites you to be an early adopter of Emu, a cluster in the cloud service that provides High-Performance Compute resources.
Who should be using Emu?
Emu is suitable for:
- South Australian researchers who want to run compute-intensive software applications in the cloud, without the overhead of managing their instance utilising the eRSA shared EMU service.
- Registered eRSA users familiar with Tizard HPC services, who would like to use their Nectar allocation to have their own EMU cluster rather than share resources with other users.
What are the benefits of Emu?
- Any eRSA user can use the shared EMU service, you don’t need a cloud resource allocation.
- If your research group has a cloud allocation, you can use it to have Emu deployed within your allocation i.e. a private cluster.
- Run compute jobs in the same way as you would for Tizard Compute.
- The advantage of a dedicated instance using your Nectar allocation is that there is no wall-time restriction for compute jobs on Emu (usually limited to 100 hours with Tizard and eRSA shared EMU cluster).
- Provides extra compute resources in addition to Tizard.
Tell me a little more about Emu…
The Emu cluster is built using cloud virtual machines with 8 processing cores, 32GB of RAM and 240GB of local disk. Currently, it has up to 16 compute nodes, with a total of 136 cores. Additional nodes can be added using Nectar project allocations. Users can log in with their eRSA account, access the same software applications as are installed on the Tizard supercomputer, and use the same Torque job management system to submit jobs to the cluster.
So what are my next steps?
- To organise a dedicated instance on your Nectar allocation please email eRSA Helpdesk and let us know when you require your allocation by.
- Attend our interactive workshop on How to use HPC and Cloud Clusters (including Emu). Details below.
eRSA HPC workshop: How to use High-Performance Computing and Cloud Clusters to enhance your research outcomes
Date: Wednesday, 9 March, 2016
Time: 9:10 PM to 4:10 PM
Location: Barr Smith South 1059 Computer Suite, North Terrace Campus, University of Adelaide, Adelaide South Australia 5001
Cost: Members* $160 Non-members $300
*Member include Staff and students of the University of Adelaide, Flinders University, the University of South Australia and SAHMRI
Refreshments provided. Seats are limited so register here now.
Want to see what other workshops we have coming up? Click here to view our training calendar.